This Baked Lasagna Recipe is one I came up with decades ago when my daughter wanted to learn how to cook. I had found a baked lasagna recipe geared toward children in the newspaper one Sunday. I decided to change it up a bit to take into consideration the things she liked and to leave out what she didn’t like. It turned out delicious and she was very proud.
Since then, I’ve changed my baked lasagna recipe over the years to make it more healthy. While an abundance of cheese isn’t something you should make a habit of eating, I believe everything, in moderation, is just fine. So, with that in mind, let’s make this delicious…
- 1 lb. Lean ground beef
- Celery, Bell Peppers, Onions, Tomatoes, Garlic
- 8 oz. Tomato sauce
- Spices: Oregano, Sweet Basil, Italian Seasoning, Garlic
- 9 cooked Lasagna noodles
- 1 Lg container of cottage cheese
- 8 oz. Mozzarella and 4 oz. Parmesan combined cheeses (or an Italian blend)
Baked Lasagna Recipe – Directions:
- Prepare the vegetables: wash, chop
- Brown the lean ground beef until there is no more pink showing – sprinkle with pepper and garlic according to your taste
- Drain any excess fat or liquid from the meat
- Add celery, bell peppers and half your chopped tomatoes – let simmer for 12-15 minutes
- Add onions, garlic and the other half of your tomatoes – continue to simmer 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally – you don’t want the garlic or onions to burn
- Add the tomato sauce and spices* and continue to simmer
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to package instructions
* I don’t measure but I sprinkle the Italian Seasoning across the top in a thin layer, sprinkle the oregano the same way only half as much, sprinkle a few pinches of basil over that and stir.
When the noodles are ready, drain them and let them cool slightly so you don’t get burned when you pick them up.
Preheat oven to 325. It’s time to build the layers…
- Spoon just enough sauce (without the meat or veggies) onto the bottom of the baking dish to form a shallow layer
- Place three lasagna noodles on top
- Spoon a nice layer of the meat and veggie sauce over the noodles
- Cover with a thin layer of cottage cheese and the mozz and parm
- Add another layer of noodles
- Repeat steps 8-12
- Top the last layer of noodles with mozz and parm
- Bake in the over for 45 – 55 minutes until the sauce at the sides bubbles and the top starts to a beautiful golden brown
- Let stand 15 minutes before cutting
Serve with a salad
There you have it! This is a fantastic yet easy Baked Lasagna Recipe for your enjoyment.