How to Whip Up a Deliciously Creamy Spinach Soup…
Are you feeling like a souper hero lately?
If not, it’s time to add some spinach to your soup game! This leafy green is packed with vitamins and minerals that your body craves.
After all, soup is considered one of the ultimate comfort foods that people always crave. It is filling, nutritious, and can warm you up from the inside out.
Adding spinach to your soup not only boosts the nutritional value, but also adds a gorgeous vibrant green color to your dish.
In case you were wondering, spinach is a versatile ingredient that pairs well with just about any soup base. So, whether you’re slurping up a creamy soup or a hearty broth, don’t forget to toss in some spinach and feel like a true souper hero.
Today, let me guide you through this step-by-step recipe for making the most decadent creamy spinach soup. Trust that you won’t be able to get enough of it!
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups of fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup of heavy cream (or Greek yogurt if you want a healthier option)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for sautéing
1. First, chop your onions and mince your garlic. Heat a soup pot with two tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat, and once it’s hot, add the onions and garlic. Sauté until the onions are translucent and fragrant.
2. Pour in the broth and spinach, and let it come to a boil, simmer for 10 minutes until the spinach is wilted and the broth is flavorful.
3. Once it’s cooled, use a blender or an immersion blender to puree the mixture until smooth.
4. Return it to the pot, and add heavy cream.
5. Stir well and let it cook for another 5-7 minutes until it thickens.
(I like to use Greek yogurt instead of heavy cream as a healthier option.)
6. Taste the soup, and add salt and pepper according to your liking.
7. Turn off the heat and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Serve hot with crusty bread or croutons.
● Substitute vegetable broth for a vegetarian option
● You can add some nutmeg or cayenne pepper for an extra flavor boost.
● You can also make a cold version of this soup by skipping the heavy cream and serving it chilled with ice cubes.
This creamy spinach soup is the perfect way to warm up on a cold, rainy day. I’m up here in the Pacific Northwest and, as the old English Proverb goes, April showers bring May flowers!
Besides this recipe is easy to make, healthy, and most importantly, delicious!
By the way, you can store the leftovers in the fridge for up to three days, and it can also be frozen, so you always have a quick meal when you’re in a rush.
Follow our step-by-step recipe, and you’ll have the creamiest spinach soup that everyone will love. We love how soups are easy to make, and the possibilities are endless!
We hope you enjoy it!
P.S. Want more soup recipes?