Looking for a delicious and unique breakfast to tantalize your buds?
Look no further than this Orange Cheese Pancake Recipe! These pancakes are made with orange juice, and cottage cheese, making them not just fluffy but oh so flavorful. They make for the perfect weekend brunch or morning treat.
Serve them up with some homemade orange syrup or sauce (both recipes below) and enjoy the amazing combination of sweet oranges and creamy cheese in every bite!
How to Make Orange Cheese Pancakes
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pancake mix
This orange cheese pancake recipe is made with a combination of basic pancake ingredients such as egg, milk, and pancake mix. But the uniqueness is the addition of creamed cottage cheese, fresh orange zest and juice, melted butter and vanilla extract give them their exceptional flavor and fluffy texture.
The tanginess of the cottage cheese combined with the sweet citrus notes of the orange make for a truly delicious breakfast or brunch option. The orange zest provides a burst of natural flavor and aroma, while the melted butter adds richness and moisture to the batter.
All of these ingredients work together to create a pancake that is both tasty and satisfying.
Step-by-step Orange Cheese Pancake Recipe
- In a mixing bowl, crack one egg and whisk it using an electric beater or manually until it becomes foamy.
- Add half a cup of cottage cheese, and half a cup of milk – blend well.
- Add one tablespoon of orange zest, two tablespoons of freshly squeezed orange juice, two tablespoons of melted butter, and half a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the egg mixture. Whisk everything together until thoroughly blended.
- Now, add one cup of pancake mix to the egg, cheese, and orange mixture. Using a spatula, stir until the pancake mix is fully incorporated into the mixture. Do not over mix.
- Heat a non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Grease it lightly with butter or cooking spray. Ladle out 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake onto the griddle. Space each pancake about 2 inches apart.
- Cook the pancakes for 2-3 minutes on one side until bubbles begin to form on the surface, then flip and cook the other side for another 1-2 minutes until golden brown.
- Once the pancakes are cooked, place them on a serving plate and keep them warm in the oven or a warming tray until all pancakes are done.
- Make the syrup (recipe below).
- Serve the warm pancakes with the warm homemade orange syrup.
Process for Making Orange Syrup  or Sauce :
 Orange Syrup
- Begin with orange juice. For this recipe, you will need 1 cup.
- Then, finely zest one orange using a microplane, measuring out 1 tablespoon of orange zest.
- In a small saucepan, combine the orange juice and zest with 1/2 cup of granulated sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until the sugar has fully dissolved.
- Once the mixture has come to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until the mixture has thickened and reduced by about half. This should take around 15 minutes.
- To test if the syrup is done, dip a spoon into the mixture and watch as it slowly drips off the spoon. Once it forms a thick, slow-moving ribbon, the syrup is ready.
- Remove the syrup from the heat and let it cool slightly before serving.
- Drizzle the warm orange syrup over your freshly made orange cheese pancakes and enjoy the delicious combination of sweet and tangy flavors.
 Orange Sauce
If you prefer a sauce instead of a syrup (like me!), you can make a delicious orange sauce by using cornstarch as a thickener. Here are the steps to make it:
- Start by preparing your orange juice and zest as described in the previous instructions. You will need 1 cup of orange juice and 1 tablespoon of zest.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 1/4 cup of cold water until smooth.
- Add the orange juice and zest to the saucepan and whisk until fully combined with the cornstarch mixture.
- Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly to prevent any lumps from forming.
- As the mixture begins to boil, reduce the heat to low and continue stirring until the sauce thickens to your desired consistency. This should take around 5-7 minutes.
- Once the sauce has thickened, remove it from the heat and let it cool slightly before serving.
- For a smoother texture, you can strain the sauce through a fine-mesh strainer before serving.
This orange sauce made with cornstarch offers a similar sweet and tangy taste to the orange syrup but with a thicker and more viscous consistency. The cornstarch acts as a natural thickener that gives the sauce a nice texture and helps it stick to your pancakes. Plus, it’s a healthier alternative to using regular flour or sugar as thickeners.
Uniquely Yours Recipe Notes:
This recipe can be customized further by adjusting the amount of sugar, butter, and pancake mix according to individual preferences. For those who are health-conscious, alternative ingredients such as whole wheat flour and stevia can be used in place of the pancake mix and sugar, respectively. Slices of fresh fruit or nuts can also be added as toppings to further enhance the nutritional value of the dish.
– If you prefer a sweeter pancake, you can add one tablespoon of sugar to the pancake batter.
– You can also decorate the pancakes with some slices of fresh oranges or berries for a more colorful presentation.
– This thick orange syrup can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks. Simply reheat it in the microwave or on the stove top before serving.
– You can customize the thickness of the syrup by adjusting the cooking time. For a thinner syrup, cook it for less time. For a thicker syrup, cook it for longer.
– If you prefer a sweeter syrup, you can add more sugar to the mixture. Adjust to taste.
– You might also enjoy this Roasted Oats & Banana pancake recipe (with or without chocolate).
Nutritional Value Per Serving (3 Pancakes):
- Calories: 344 kcal
- Protein: 11g
- Total carbohydrates: 44g
- Dietary Fiber: 3.2g
- Sugars: 25.4g
- Total Fat: 12.9g
- Saturated fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 63 mg
- Sodium 412 mg
Recipe makes approximately 9 pancakes.
Serves 2-3 people. May vary depending on the hunger level and serving size preference of each individual.
- Each serving of 3 pancakes provides approximately 344 kcal of energy.
- The protein content per serving is 11g, while the total carbohydrates amount to 44g.
- The dietary fiber is 3.2g, and the total sugar content is 25.4g.
- The total fat per serving is 12.9g, with saturated fat accounting for 4.6g.
- The cholesterol level is 63mg, and the sodium content is 412mg.
These orange cheese pancakes are a delicious alternative to regular pancakes and are balanced in terms of macronutrient content.
The cottage cheese provides a good source of protein, while the orange zest and juice add a refreshing citrus flavor.
The orange syrup provides a sweet and tangy contrast to the mildness of the pancakes.
Try out this delicious and unique Orange Cheese Pancake recipe today and enjoy a flavorful breakfast or brunch treat! Bon Appetite!